Monday, May 7, 2018

Memorable Athletic Moments - Marshall Terres


During my four years at Hingham High School I have been fortunate enough to be a part of some amazing teams, and have some unforgettable experiences.  My athletic career has been filled with a lot of championship moments such as, scoring a game winning goal in a state championship game in hockey, to snapping a fifteen year drought in lacrosse state championships.  However, these aren’t the feats that I want to remember and cherish for the rest of my life. One lesson I’ve learned over my athletic career is that it is not all about winning championships. It is sometimes about the experience you get to have and the people you do it with.  During my senior year fall, I was able to play my Thanksgiving Eve and final high school football game at Fenway Park. I will never forget this night. We got to use the visiting team’s locker room at Fenway, and walk right out of the dugout onto the field. A mind blowing moment to think about all of the legends that have made that walk before me.  It is moments like catching the opening kick off and getting stains all over my white uniform from the red authentic Fenway dirt. Those are the ones I will really cherish. I will always remember standing at the fifty yard line with my dad, also my coach, after the game and just taking in the moment under the shining lights at Fenway Park. Along with moments like playing at Fenway Park, I have been lucky enough to be a part of some great teams at Hingham High School.  One of the closest teams I’ve ever been a part of was during my senior year hockey season. At the beginning of the year we were returning just seven players with a regular shift and were looking questionable. It was the camaraderie we were able to create that allowed us to accomplish what we did. Hanging out as a team beyond the rink, and always being supportive of the other guys went further than I ever thought possible. After handing Central Catholic only their second loss of the season, we finished in the semi-finals.  Finishing that season in the Super 8 semi-final at the Tsongas Center after a tough loss was one of the hardest, proudest moments of my life. To realize I was a part of the best public school team in the state, where no one individual stood out, where everyone played for the guy next to him, and where we all grew up playing together, was a far better feeling than any individual moment I’ve ever been a part of. Thank you to all the teams I have been a part of at Hingham High School for all the lasting memories!


No comments:

Post a Comment